I’m peering into my closet and contemplating the tank tops, short-sleeved sweaters and otherwise warm climate clothing I’ve accumulated over the last 12 years, and it occurs to me that I will need to shift gears soon, and layer up for the colder climate I’m relocating to. Thus, this simple list of winter wardrobe must-haves was created.
As much as I’m looking forward to being close to my family…kids, mom, grandkids and friends, I can’t lie. Moving to the cold winter weather would not be my choice. But it goes along with the family, so off I go into the cold, cold north with a (chattering) smile on my face! I’ve got to get those cold weather essentials up to the top of my list again.
Let’s have some fun with our winter wardrobe must-haves because we always want to look stylish, no matter what’s happening outside our window. And the simple fact is, layered clothing can help keep us warm, protected from the elements and ultimately, healthy. Wintertime is one of the worst times to have a cold, isn’t it?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and decide to purchase a product, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! Disclosure Policy
Winter Wardrobe Must-Haves
Sweater – Pullover or Cardigan
What comes to mind when we visualize a winter outfit? For most of us, a sweater of some kind is a cold weather essential, and for good reason. Sweaters are comfy, cozy and warm. They’re as colorful and bold as you want them to be. Or, keep your choice neutral and classic.
I know that many women are particular about style and what colors suit them best. The choices are, well, endless!
I’ve curated some great choices for you, to help create that pulled-together cold weather outfit!
1.Collarless Sweater Blazer: It’s a sweater with the styling of a blazer, I love it! Cotton/Poly/Wool blend. Also available in Black. $148
2.Popcorn Sweater: Love the popcorn textured look, and it looks so soft and comfy! Also available in Black, Cream and Lavender. $108
3.Deep Orange Rib Sweater: I prefer a sweater that is not too heavy, and this wide-ribbed acrylic/polyester blend is perfect! Offered in three other neutral colors, too. $55
4.Knit Funnel Neck Tunic: The dramatic sleeve styling, funnel neck and longer length are a winner for me! I love the Olive Basil color shown; also comes in a deep gold. $49
5. Rib Knit Wool & Cashmere Cardigan: Soft and luxurious, and the long length is so classy. And look…pockets! Available in five colors. $149
Check out these related posts to learn more about FASHION, STYLE, & CONFIDENCE in your 50’s & 60’s:
Cute, Casual Outfits for Women,
Casual Styles for Women,
Fashion Over 50, What is That?,
Do You Know How to Dress for Your Body Shape,
How to Define Your Personal Style After 50,
Style is About More Than what You Wear,
Casual Styles for Women Over 60
Jackets & Blazers
The perfect outer layer for your indoor activities, a jacket or blazer is an essential component to your look. It’s functional, stylish, and if you get too warm you can take it off! Always have to be thinking of our warm moments, right?
1. Sueded Lace Up Jacket – The power of ‘3’ here, with a casual faux suede, lace up the sleeves and a hidden zipper. Altogether it’s a really cool look! $149
2. Printed Velvet Jacket – when nothing less than the elegance of velvet will do, this black/gold print velvet from Chico’s Black Label collection will take black jeans to a new level. I love the look as shown, with a collared white shirt underneath. $189
3. Embroidered Velvet Denim Jacket – elevate your denim look with this velvet embroidered jacket. Casually styled from the front, the black velvet patterned patch on the back is very unique. $139
You can create a one-of-a-kind look with your existing denim jacket, or any type of blazer, with custom-crafted patched from Patches4Less. Create your signature look with elbow patches, lapel design or on the back, similar to the look above.
4. Embellished Sleeve Jacket – the bomber jacket never looked to elegant! This lighter weight style bomber has faux pearls and simulated jewels on the arms. You’ll never want to take it off! $119
5. Pleat Back Jacket – I love this jacket! It’s the ever-stylish and classic black blazer taken to a new level with the long vertical pleat in the back. Lighter weight polyester and 3/4 sleeves, so might be the perfect addition for those of us who get a bit warm, no matter the weather! 🙂 $149
Warm Boots are Cold Weather Essentials!
It’s not enough to just look great, your winter weather boots have to keep the cold and wet off of your feet. But you don’t have miss one little style step with these weather-friendly choices!
1.Tinsley Rain Boot – matte black with a 1″ heel, these pull-on rain boots are ready to jump those puddles!$55
2. UGG Waterproof Insulated Wedge Boot– keep your tootsies dry and warm in these boots, grounded by slip-resistant White Spider treads $180
3. Shiny Waterproof Boot – your friends will never lose you in a crowd with these shiny boots! Also available in shiny blue, black and clear $60
4.Mist Rain Chelsea Boot – I love the pointy toe and simple styling of this shiny black pull-on rain boot $55
5. Foxy Waterproof Boot– if you love the look of a knee-high boot, this equestrian style (also available in black) works with so many styles. Love the color! $190
Turtlenecks are Winter Wardrobe Must-Haves!
A turtleneck is a perfect under layer through the winter months. It can be tucked quietly under your cardigan or jacket, and provide a nice warm layer for you. And, there are a number of different ways to style an outfit with a turtleneck that is a bit more stylish and interesting. That’s what I was after when I found these pieces for you:
1.Cable Turtleneck Sweater – a beautiful textured knit look, dropped shoulders, vented hem and 6 color options make this a statement piece in itself. $90
2.Ribbed Silk Blend Turtleneck – the perfect layering piece, it’s a graceful and elegant look on its own as well. $90
3.Fine Gauge Knit Turtleneck – I love the fine gauge knitwork look to this turtleneck, and the ribbed knit cuffs add a nice finish to the sleeves. Available in a variety of colors, too $50
4. Cashmere Ruffle Amelia Sweater – elevate your turtleneck with this cashmere turtleneck, whip stitching in a beautiful neutral Oatmeal color $159
5. Hi-Low Hem Turtleneck – pretty yoke detail, a hi-low hem, drapey cowl, and 6 soft, subtle color options make this such a lovely layering option $70
Go Anywhere Coats and Jackets
Winter weather can be frigid, windy, rainy, blustery, sunny, range in temperature from day to day, depending upon where you live. So, having a ‘go anywhere jacket‘ for those times that you’re not faced with a blizzard outside is another winter wardrobe must-have. Something like this would be fun, don’t you think?
Shawl Collar Hooded Coat – I love the length and the big shawl collar (with a hood, too!) of this versatile partially lined wool/poly blend coat that is available in five colors. $198
Wool Blend Reefer Coat – available as shown in gray or in a lovely shade of heather, you can dress this classic style up or down as desired. The wool blend and full lining will keep you nice and warm. $140
Meant to be Moto Jacket (with removable hood) – faux leather styling, removable hood and cool zipper styling on this jacket that is also offered in Mushroom and Evergreen. $98
Laney II Trench Raincoat – A lightly insulated, no-fuss raincoat made from HyVent® performance fabric is flatteringly styled with a snap-closure collar and adjustable hood. Available in gray, black and taupe green. $180
Fuzzy Houndstooth Coat – I love the houndstooth pattern on this coat! The casual, comfy style and slouchy, oversize hood are a winner for sure. The front zips and snaps to keep you dry on those messy weather days. Also available in White. $230+
Do You Know How to Dress for Your Body Shape?
Make Your Life Easier, Girlfriend!
Everyone loves to wrap themselves up in a warm blanket come wintertime. A soft scarf is like having your favorite blanket wrapped around you all day long. Not only does it protect you from the elements, you look really cool and stylish, too! Here are some handmade scarves I curated for you:
1.Tribal Print Aztec Tassel Scarf – unique, handmade scarf with beautiful tribal print and tassels for an added touch of style. $18
2.Cowl Button Up Scarf – lovely style that will keep your neck protected as well as stylish. Hand made with a wool/acrylic blend yarn. $27
3.Colorful Infinity Scarf – beautifully hand made to order from super soft boucle acrylic yarn $30
4.Nordic Style Scarf – handmade scarf with beautiful, soft colors in a nordic style with pretty deer prancing woven into the pattern. $32
5.Winter Blanket Scarf – when only a plaid scarf will do, you’ll want to see the beautiful selection of colors and plaids in these hand made items. $16
Well, I think I have no excuse now when it comes to my winter wardrobe must-haves and style. I have all the components right here, and so do you!