As a woman over 50, you know that your body is changing. You may not feel as confident as you once did in clothes that show off your curves. That’s why learning how to buy well fitting jeans is so important. Jeans are a versatile and comfortable piece of clothing that can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion. For many of us, wearing jeans is a staple in our wardrobe.
The most common challenge that women over 50 have when it comes to jeans is knowing how to find a style, cut, and color of denim that flatters their body. As your body changes, you may find that the jeans you used to wear no longer fit you in the same way. You may also want to try a different style of jean, such as bootcut or wide leg, to create a more flattering silhouette.
You may feel like you’re not in control of your body or that your clothes don’t fit right anymore. It can be hard to find jeans that are flattering and comfortable at the same time, but there is a way. It just takes some patience, good judgement, and honest evaluation in front of a mirror.
Here is your guide on how to buy the best jeans for women over 50! We’ll consider what styles are best for our shape and size, as well as what colors will suit us best.
If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
- The History of the Denim Jean Pant
- Guide: How to Buy the Best Jeans After 50
- Best Jeans for Women Over 50
- Buying Jeans as a Woman Over 50
- Conclusion: Best Jeans for Women Over 50
The History of the Denim Jean Pant
Where did jeans originate? Were they invented? Who wore them first? Jeans are a type of clothing that has been around for centuries, and their history is a bit murky. There are many different stories and legends about where jeans came from and who invented them.
One popular legend tells the story of a man named Levi Strauss, who was a dry goods merchant in San Francisco during the Gold Rush. Strauss supplied miners with clothes and supplies, and he is said to have invented the first pair of jeans as a way to make durable pants for the miners.
Another story about the origin of jeans tells the tale of a man named Jean Baptiste Duval, who was a French tailor in the 1800s. Duval is said to have created a type of pants made from denim fabric that was more durable and sturdy than traditional pants.
The true history of jeans is unclear, but what we do know is that they have been around for centuries and are a staple in the fashion world. Jeans are popular because they are versatile and comfortable, and they can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.
Guide: How to Buy the Best Jeans After 50
Consider the Cut or Rise (where is the waistline)
First and most important, consider the cut of the jeans. High-waisted jeans are a good choice, as they will help to give you a more defined waist. As we get older, our waistlines tend to spread out. A high waistband will help to keep everything in place and be more flattering, especially if you can wear a tucked-in top.
You might want to avoid low rise jeans, as they will not be as flattering on a woman over 50. You know that pesky belly fat that appears we we get older? Well, low-rise jeans will only make that look worse. It’s because of where they sit in relation to your waistline.
What is the difference between high rise, mid-rise, and low rise jeans in terms of where they fit?
- High-rise jeans are jeans that have a waistband that sits at or above your natural waist.
- Mid-rise jeans are jeans that have a waistband that sits at the natural waist or just below it.
- Low-rise jeans are jeans that have a waistband that sits below the natural waist.
Choose the Most Flattering Denim Wash
For most of us over the age of 50, dark denim jeans will be more flattering. Similar to wearing navy or black pants instead of a light color, they’ll offer a bit of slimming where we may need it.
My legs are short and stocky, so as I’ve gotten older I’ve found that to be very true for me. I’ll still wear a lighter shade of denim in a cropped style, or a style that is not a skinny jean.
If you’re not sure what color is best for you, try dark wash jeans or a medium wash and see which one looks better. I have both and depending on the top and the shoes (as well as the season) they can work well.
What are the different colors or shades of denim?
- Light wash denim is a light blue or white color.
- Medium wash denim is a darker blue color.
- Dark wash denim is a very dark blue or off-black color.
Consider the Style (bootcut, wide leg, straight leg)
A style that is popular among women over 50 is boot cut jeans. Boot cut jeans are a good choice because they create a more flattering silhouette than straight leg or wide leg jeans.
What is the difference between bootcut, and straight leg jeans? Bootcut jeans are wider below the knee than straight leg jeans, and they taper in slightly towards the ankle. This style is perfect for women who want to hide their thighs and hips, as it will help to create a more streamlined look.
Wide-leg jeans are also a good choice for women over 50, as they will help to create a more relaxed and comfortable silhouette. If you’re looking for a pair of loose fit jeans that you can wear all day long, then wide-leg jeans are the way to go!
Straight-leg jeans are a good choice for women who want to create a slimming effect. This style is also versatile, as it can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
Boyfriend jeans and mom jeans are cut to be a little more forgiving and can have an overall looser fit. Go for a look that is too loose, though, and they can make you look older.
Cropped jeans are a fun, casual style that can work for you depending upon your shape. It’s important to consider the outfit as a whole – the top, crop pants, and shoes – when deciding if it’s a look that is flattering for you. For me, the length has to be mid to lower calf, nothing shorter.
As for ripped jeans? I think they are best left to the younger crowd. If you can pull it off, good on you, but for most of us in midlife other options will be more flattering.
Consider the fabric (cotton, stretchy, blend, etc)
When it comes to fabric, a good choice for jeans over 50 is cotton. Cotton is a natural fiber and it’s breathable, so it will be comfortable to wear all day long.
If you want jeans with a bit of stretch, then look for a blend of cotton and spandex or lycra. This will help to provide a bit of stretch and will be comfortable to wear.
Avoid jeans that are made with 100% synthetic materials, as they may not be as comfortable.
What is the difference between cotton, spandex, lycra, and synthetic materials?
- Cotton is a natural fiber that is made from the cotton plant.
- Spandex is a synthetic fiber that is made from polyurethane.
- Lycra is a synthetic fiber that is made from polyester and elastane.
- Synthetic materials are made from petroleum products.
What type or blend of fabric are most jeans constructed from?
Most stretch jeans are constructed from a blend of cotton and spandex or lycra. This provides a bit of stretch and makes them comfortable to wear. Jeans that are made with 100% synthetic materials may not be as comfortable.
A stretch denim jean can be the most comfortable as well as flattering for women over 50.
How about skinny jeans for women over 50?
While skinny jeans are a popular style for women of all ages, they may not be the best choice for us as women over 50. They can be very unflattering, as they can accentuate any areas that you may not want to show off.
It is a personal choice, and depending upon your figure and body shape they may look great on you. Just remember to take an honest look in the mirror before heading out the door.
If you do choose to wear skinny jeans, make sure they fit well and are flattering from all angles.
With this style of jean, a tunic style top may work best, too. A tunic-style top will help to disguise any areas that you may not want to show off, such as your stomach or arms. It will also help to elongate your figure and create a more streamlined look.
Consider your body type and shape
When choosing the right style of jeans, it’s important to take your body type and shape into consideration. Not all styles will look good on every woman, so you’ll want to find a style that is most flattering for you.
If you have a round or curvy figure, bootcut or wide-leg jeans will help to create a more streamlined look. You may also want to try a high-rise style of jean, as it will help to accentuate your waist.
If you have a slimmer or straight figure, a style like the straight-leg jean or the boyfriend jean may be a good choice for you. You may also want to consider a cropped style, as it will help to highlight your ankles and legs.
No matter what your body type is, make sure that the jeans fit well. They should be comfortable and not too tight or too loose. A good fitting pair of jeans will make you feel confident and fabulous!
Consider the Brand
When it comes to jeans, not all brands are created equal. Some brands specialize in jeans for women over 50, while others do not. If you want to make sure that you’re getting the best possible fit, then it’s worth considering a brand that specializes in jeans for women over 50.
Some popular brands that specialize in jeans for women over 50 include NYDJ, Lee, and Levi’s. These brands offer a wide range of styles and cuts that are perfect for women over 50.
Best Jeans for Women Over 50
So, now that we’ve discussed some of the features to look for in flattering jeans for women in midlife, let’s consider some examples. I’ve curated these based on the cut (high rise), denim wash, and style.
Check out these styles and click on any image for more details and purchase information:
Here are several options from Amazon to consider:
- High Rise: Sits above waist
- Slim through hip and thigh
- Inseam: 30" (Short); 32" (Medium)
- HIGH RISE BOOTCUT. As the most recognized and celebrated fit in the Wrangler portfolio, this time-tested favorite has a flattering boot-cut silhouette and a higher rise in the back for added coverage.
- TIMELESS STYLE. Make a statement in high-quality boot cut jeans inspired by the western lifestyle. Express your true, authentic self through timeless pieces by Wrangler.
- FASHION FOR ALL. Available in sizes 0-18, these jeans are made to be loved by every body. Designed with an ageless mindset and authentic fabric with the perfect amount of stretch to make all body types feel confident.
- EVERYDAY STAPLE. Designed for women on the go, these high-waisted boot cut jeans deliver an effortless, classic look to any ensemble. Pair with your favorite top and accessories for a polished outfit.
- ICONIC FINISHES. This jean is finished with our iconic "W" stitching, leather Wrangler patch, logo shanks and flat rivets. Maintain that effortless classic style with a touch of Wrangler heritage. Inseam: short 30", regular 32", long 34". Zipper fly.
- INSTANT SLIM: Don't you love it when you can see instant results? Our ingenious stretch blend & ideal waist placement delivers a slimmer look the moment you put these on. Fabric designed with comfortable, holding power & a hidden, slimming tummy panel.
- STYLISH DESIGNS: Lee's full line of women's shorts, women's jeans, women's skirts, women's jackets & more provide you with a stylish wardrobe all year round. From denim skirts for summer barbecues to jean jackets for windy fall days, Lee keeps you going.
- MORE THAN DENIM: You already trust Lee to bring you your favorite jeans, but we're so much more than that! Lee makes quality, stylish jeans, khakis, dresses, skirts, jackets, belts, shorts, shirts, uniforms and more! Fill your closet with Lee quality.
- QUALITY OVER QUANTITY: For over 100 years, Lee has been making quality, dependable denim. We'd rather sell one quality garment than 100 inferior ones. If you're looking for quality jeans, shorts, jackets, skirts, overalls, belts or uniforms, look to Lee
- Inseams: Short 29", Med. 31", Long 33". Rise: 10.75"; Straight leg w/ 15.5" opening; Measurements taken using size 10 medium and may vary by size. Classic style; Instantly Slims You Tummy Panel; Zipper closure; Regular overall fit
Straight leg or skinny jeans look great with a tunic-style top, don’t they? Here are a few example I curated for you. And, check out the options with Covered Perfectly..always a good choice!
Buying Jeans as a Woman Over 50
- Don’t be afraid to try a new style.
- Consider your body type and shape when choosing a style of jeans.
- Make sure the jeans fit well and are comfortable. Don’t focus on the size, concentrate on the overall fit.
- Try a dark wash or medium wash denim color.
- Straight, boot cut or wide-leg jeans are a good choice for women over 50.
- Skinny jeans may not be the best choice for those over 50.
- Look for a style of slimming jeans that are most flattering to you.
- Jeans can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
- When trying on jeans, always move around in them to make sure they are comfortable.
- A good fitting pair of jeans will make you feel confident and fabulous
A few more tips
Jeans can also be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, so make sure to have a few pairs in different washes and styles handy.
If shopping online, always read reviews before buying because they’ll give you insight into what other customers thought about the style.
Measure, measure, and measure again before ordering jeans online. If you’re purchasing in person, always try them on. Gone are the days ‘one and done’ shopping!
When trying on jeans yourself, don’t forget to move around in them- this ensures they fit well while walking around during errands or sitting comfortably when out with friends.
Conclusion: Best Jeans for Women Over 50
Wearing a pair of jeans is an excellent way to look great and feel confident. But as we get older, our bodies change and not all styles will be flattering for us. That’s why it’s important that you try on the various cuts until you find one that makes you feel fabulous!
Like this post? Share it!