It’s probably a fair statement that as women in our 50’s and 60’s we don’t wake up in the morning, gaze into the closet and think, “hmmm…what can I wear today to make me look old and frumpy?”
Of course, we don’t do that, at least not consciously. Because, seriously. Who wants to dress like an old lady? Sometimes, though, we are stuck in patterns and actions that give us a result that we don’t want, without even realizing it. When it comes to understanding how not to dress old, we aren’t doing ourselves any favors.
We’ve all been there. Browsing through our wardrobes, wondering if our choice of attire is a great way to showcase our personality or if it’s silently whispering, “I’m stuck in a style time warp.” Now, who wants that?
As older women (not OLD, just more mature), we’ve earned our fashion stripes and life experience. We know what works for us and what doesn’t. We’ve defined our comfort zone and, dare I say it, sometimes we’re a little too comfortable.
The good news? This post will help you avoid those pesky fashion mistakes that are sneakily adding years to your overall look. It’s not about chasing the latest trends, but more about refining a classic look that shows sophistication with a dash of fun.
So, what’s the best way to do this, you ask? With some handy style tips, of course! Because let’s be real, who wouldn’t want a few insider tips to help them look their best?
But remember, while it’s always a great idea to keep up with the times, don’t forget that your sense of style is uniquely yours. It’s a reflection of your journey, your experiences, and ultimately, your fabulous self!
Many of us are quite comfortable doing things, including putting outfits together, the way we’ve done them for years. It worked in the past, so it must still be the right choice, we think.
Well, maybe not so much.
Let’s take a look at some style mistakes that aren’t helping us look our best, and delve deeper into how not to dress old.
If you click on a link and decide to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
How Not to Dress Old
We’ve all had that moment of standing in front of a mirror and thinking, “Did I wear this exact outfit in my younger years?” Or, “Is this still in style?” It happens to the best of us. After all, who hasn’t clung to a particular style or piece of clothing for a tad too long?
Now, don’t get me wrong. There’s no rule that says we need to chase after current trends like we’re playing a game of fashion tag. But, there’s also something to be said about keeping our look fresh and modern, right?
Here’s what tends to happen. We find a style that works for our body type, and we stick to it. And why wouldn’t we? It’s comfortable, it’s familiar, and it saves us the trouble of having to navigate through the ever-changing world of fashion. However, is sticking to the same look for a long time always a good idea? Well, not necessarily.
Think about it this way. Would you keep eating the same meal every day just because it tastes good? Probably not. So why do the same with your style? Remember, variety is the spice of life!
Fashion tips 101: The right fit is everything. Whether it’s a pair of pants, a dress, or casual wear, the right fit can accentuate your best features and instantly elevate your look.
And yes, embracing your gray hair can be empowering. But pairing it with outdated wardrobe staples? Not so much. Let’s celebrate our grays by complementing them with chic, contemporary styles.
So, how about we take a leap of faith together? Step out of our comfort zones, and embrace the exciting world of fashion that awaits us. Because, we’ve still got it!
Ready for those tips? Here they are.
1 | It’s All in Our Head
For me, it all starts in my pretty little head, not with the clothes I have in my hand. Our perception of ourselves influences every decision we make, including style choices.
- What am I thinking?
- How do I see myself as a person?
- Do I respect myself?
- Do I think I’m a beautiful person, inside and out?
- Am I worth taking the time to look my best?
- Does anyone really care if I throw on any old clothes?
If we look in the mirror and see a middle-aged, heading down the “old lady” path person staring back at us, that can’t help but be reflected in the care we take with our outfit choices.
So if the goal, how not to dress old, is one that you aspire to, remember to start with what’s going on inside your head before dressing the outside.
If you’re not sure how to go about adjusting that perspective and gaining confidence with yourself and your personal style, The Fashion Cure might be just what you’re searching for. It’s a simple email series course, yet full of practical and insightful tools for you as a woman over 50. LEARN MORE
2 | Cranking back the clock
Taking an honest, realistic look at ourselves will help keep us in the present, and that includes our fashion choices.
My outfit choices from 5, 10, or 15 years ago will not be the same today. Why? Well, my body has changed. The weight has shifted to my middle more than in the past, I’m a few pounds heavier, and I definitely think about how much (sagging) skin I am willing to show.
For me that means 3/4 sleeves vs. sleeveless, or, if I wear shorts in public, what length is right for me today?
A woman in her 60’s in a tank top and short shorts is probably not a pretty picture, at least for me. The skin just isn’t as tight, or taut, as it used to be. So why do I want to wear outfits that actually make me look older by shouting to the world, “hey, look at me with my sagging skin and wrinkles!”?
I’ll feel better about myself and actually look younger if I switch out the tank top for a 3/4 sleeve t-shirt and a pair of capris or ankle length jeans instead of the shorts. Age appropriate outfits that are stylish and flattering. Yep, that’s the goal!
3 | Fixed on today’s trends
As a self-proclaimed non-fashionista, I don’t follow the latest fashion trends. I am confident in my personal style and what looks best on me.
Sure, I’ll check out what’s new in the stores, or the popular colors and fabrics, and decide if it’s a good fit for me, literally and style-wise.
If I hop on the latest style train and my motivation is to be “stylish and trendy” without regard to how it actually looks on me as a woman in my 60’s, I could potentially end up looking rather foolish, and old, in a sad kind of way.
Fashion trends are great, don’t get me wrong. Just remember to evaluate first what the impact of that particular choice will have on you, personally. It might be the perfect look for the fashion blogger or the model on the website, but not right for you. If it’s going to make you look older, it’s probably best to let that outfit go.
4 | A bit too bare
I mentioned this earlier, and it deserves its own category because it is that important when your goal is to understand the style mistakes that will age you.
The age-old question: to show more skin or not? It’s a hot summer day, and you’re tempted to reach for that skimpy top or those short shorts. But wait! Before you make this fashion faux pas, let’s chat.
It’s a common misconception that showing more skin will make us look younger. The truth? It can actually date us faster than a reality TV show from the early 2000s. Now, don’t get me wrong. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with flaunting what you’ve got. But when it comes to dressing in our fabulous fifties and beyond, subtlety is key.
You see, trendy clothes are great. They’re fun, they’re fresh, and they keep us connected to the fashion world. But some trends are better left to the younger generation. I mean, do we really want to compete with our daughters or granddaughters in the skin-showing department? Didn’t think so!
So, what’s an older woman to do? Well, it’s simple. Instead of showing more skin, why not focus on highlighting your best features?
For example, a well-fitted pair of jeans can have a similar effect as a mini skirt – without leaving you feeling overly exposed. Or how about a good bra? More about that below. It’s amazing how the right support can instantly lift not just your bust, but also your confidence!
Remember,friends, less is more. And in the world of fashion, this couldn’t be truer. So, the next time you’re tempted to bare it all in the name of youth, think again. Because style, class, and a dash of mystery never go out of fashion.
Showing more skin will not make you look younger, and in fact can have the opposite result, particularly when the motivation is to try and be more youthful.
It goes back to what is happening in our heads, and how we perceive ourselves. If we choose clothes and style looks that show skin in order for us to feel more youthful, chances are it is going to have the opposite result.
It can be difficult to remain motivated, encouraged, and feel supported when you’re trying to establish a healthy habits and lose weight. Did you know that your smart phone can be a very effective tool for accomplishing your goals to live a healthier life? Learn more about MIGHTY HEALTH, the healthy lifestyle app created for women and men over 50
5 | More sag than support
You know, it really doesn’t matter what you wear if your unmentionables don’t fit properly, particularly the bra.
An instant indicator of an “old lady” look is sagging boobs. It’s that simple, girlfriend.
The bra that worked well for you in the past may not be the best choice for you today. It goes back to our perception of ourselves as well as holding on to past choices without thinking them through.
When it comes to all-over support, it might be time to consider the world of shapewear. I know…it can be daunting, but I recently reviewed Leonisa shapewear, and as a total newbie to the ‘compression club’ I was quite impressed with their line of products. Check out my review of Leonisa shapewear and see what you think.
6 | Baggy bottom syndrome
Wide leg, pull-on pants are definitely on the list of style mistakes that can make you look older. Sometimes it’s a matter of comfort. I get it.
But it is possible to wear comfortable slacks and jeans that also have some style to them. And you don’t have to swing the pendulum all the way to the other end and wear the tightest-fitting leggings available.
Instead, look for a fabric that includes a bit of spandex or other type of stretch construction, so the pant leg is a little bit of a leg-hugger. You don’t have to be thin, nor do you have to have perfect, shapely legs to wear slim-fitting pants or jeans.
The key to this style of pant is what you put with it. For most of us in midlife, a tunic style top that is not too clingy along with a flat or low-heeled slip-on shoe will take your outfit from frumpy to fashionable.
My sister is a few years older than me, and just recently decided to give leggings and a casual tunic length top a try. And you know what? She looked really adorable and more youthful than the mom style jeans with a shirt and sweater combo she would typically wear.
Here are some examples for you:
- SKINNY FIT: Snug fit through hip, thigh, and leg. Mid rise, sits below the natural waist.
- SUPER STRETCH DENIM: Super soft and stretchy denim that keeps its shape for all-day comfort and…
- ESSENTIAL JEGGING: Wear these jeggings just like your favorite pair of jeans with the extra comfort…
- DETAILS: Wide elastic pull-on waistband for extra comfort and front and back pockets give the look…
- Comfort Elastic Waistband: Our Classic Denim Leggings are designed with a comfort elastic waistband…
- Real Back Pockets: Unlike many leggings on the market, our Classic Denim Leggings come with real…
- Retains Shape & No Show Coverage: These leggings are not only comfortable but also retain their…
- Comfortable & Versatile: Perfect for all your fall outfits women love, the leggings are comfortable…
- Inseam: Short=28″, Medium=30″, Long=32″
- You may also like totally shaping pull on Bermuda shorts
- Super stretch lasts from day to night; Snug fit doesn’t lose shape
- Vintage, worn-in look
- Soft Breathable Fabric : Our jeggings casual pants are made of beathable ultra-soft cotton,…
- Stretch & Comfort : These high-quality denim-like jeggings are a must-have for your everyday outfit….
- On-Trend : This ideal women’s daily casual pants and work pants style will stand out and shape your…
- Design & Occasions : These women’s jeggings have a faux front pocket, and a real back pocket for a…
- STYLE – Featuring a loose fit, side split hem and pull on style our long sleeve tunic tops for women…
- OCCASION – Whether on cold winter days, in the cool fall and spring months or on chilly summer…
- PAIRING – These sweaters for women can be paired with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings,…
- LIFESTYLE – Watch our video for lifestyle visualization and different ideas on how to best style…
- Type: women long shirts with pocket, womens oversized t shirts, solid color oversized shirts for…
- Designs:Color Block,Round Neck,Short Sleeves / Long Sleeve,Side Pockets,Casual Chic Style,Reduce…
- You can wear this casual loose tops can be match with jeans, leggings, boots and jackets,cardigan…
- Tshirt dresses for women of Basic style, easy to match with anything, great for weekend, work,…
- PLEASE NOTE:Due to our product being vacuum-packed, the sweatshirt may appear wrinkled. However, it…
- Design: Relaxed fit,Unique Side Split hem: making it look more stylish and trendy, increased…
- Match：Whether it’s paired with jeans, legging shorts, or a skirt, this sweatshirt can effortlessly…
- Occasion:Perfect for gifting to family and friends. Suitable for everyday wear and exercise. Great…
- Fabric: Womens Tops is made of 64% Polyester, 30% Rayon, 6% Spandex, soft, stretchy, skin-friendly…
- Features: Womens tunic tops is a simple fashion design, basic and trendy. Scoop neck tops for women…
- Match: The U-neckline combined with the puff sleeves makes this long sleeve shirts for women very…
- Occasions: Tunic tops to wear with legging is perfect for any occasion, casual and daily look,…
- Trendy Appearance: Classic and simple loafers, available in a variety of colors. The upper is made…
- Lightweight Loafers: Each shoe weighs only 6.7 oz, this loafer is very light and comfortable to wear…
- Versatile Women’s Loafers & Slip-ons: This pair of stylish and comfortable casual shoes is an…
- Comfortable: Covered with a cork surface, the removable EVA insole is breathable, soft and…
- Cushion soft
- Ortholite footbed
- Approx. Heel height 2 inch
- Synthetic TPR thick non-slip sole. Heel height:2.55″(6.5CM).Not Heavy and Comfortable, Bouncy and…
- Chain Loafers: Chunky platform low block heel combine with PU leather upper,this chain loafers…
- Slip On Style:The loafers for women are eay on and off. Boutique and Chic has never been as simple…
- Comfort and safety: Tinstree round toe loafers for women include a padded, soft inner sole to…
- Heel height 2.16″
- Ortholite footbed
- Cushion soft
- Button Trims
Now, of course there are going to be exceptions, and I’ll show you an example. There is a way to wear wide-leg pants, be stylish, and have fun.
I recently bought these cotton, wide-leg cropped pants with a crinkly linen top, and really love the look:
I love the pockets! And, they are very comfortable, too. These are 100% cotton, but you can also get them in linen. That’s next on my list. Both the pants and top come in a variety of colors.
Complete your outfit with a chunky necklace and some flats or sandals, and you’ve created a stylish look.
Here are the purchase details if you want to see more:
Hey there friend, do you struggle to find pants, jeans, crops, & capris that fit you well? Yep, most of us have that problem.
Well, take a minute to learn more about Measure & Made, and their unique sizing system called ShapeLogic. Once you find your perfect size, you can buy and wear any of the bottoms on their site and they’ll fit you well!
7 | Shapeless shifts
When you decide that you don’t want to dress old, a shapeless shift that hangs like a flowered potato sack is one little item that needs to be crossed off your list of things to wear today.
Call them shifts, muumuu’s, dusters, housecoats…I think you know what I mean. They usually have flowered prints, which, well, is on this list too.
So a traditional flowered muumuu should stay in the closet (or be donated) for several reasons when you don’t want to wear clothes that will age or date you.
Are they comfortable? I’m sure they are. Are they an option for hangin’ around the house? Of course, they could be. But that’s where they should stay if you’re looking for advice on how not to dress old. 👗
8 | Dated florals
This is a tough one because there are so many floral patterns out there, and not all of them will make you look dated or old.
There are a couple of things we can look at:
- What is the style of the piece that has the floral pattern on it? If it is a muumuu type shift as discussed above, it falls into the “dated floral” category. Sometimes, an updated style to the piece will lend a more stylish look overall. So, keep that in mind when deciding if a floral print works for you.
- What type of floral pattern is it? It’s not a black and white “rule”, but many times a small floral print will date your look. Or, a floral that reminds you of your grandmother’s tablecloth might give you pause.
9 | Grandma’s jewelry
I love my mom. She’s 93 and adorable. And, she loves to be fashionable, so the outfit is always put together, complete with jewelry. The jewelry choices include chunky necklaces and brooches.
Lovely for her, but not so much for someone who is trying not to dress old. Leave the brooch in the jewelry box, girlfriend, unless your personal style sways toward the vintage look. Then it could be really cool.
Otherwise, you’ll date yourself with outdated jewelry choices.
p.s. I love you, Mom 💗
10 | Dressed in Black
Some say that wearing all black is a style mistake that will age you. I disagree. I think it depends on what you wear and how you wear it.
Yes, baggy black pull-ons with a short sleeve collared cotton shirt will make you look older, for example.
The most stylish or classic all-black outfit will not enhance your looks if your face is pale and devoid of a natural, healthy glow.
But, a pair of well-fitted black ankle-length slacks with a ¾ sleeve tunic top in a flattering, drapey type fabric, classic jewelry and a cute pair of mules? That, to me, is a classic, stylish look that is never dated.
It comes down to the fit, fabric and choices we make for each piece.
Here is an example that I put together for you :
You’ll find links below the image for each item, and you can also find this post on the LiketoKnow.it app.
Decide What Works for You!
How to Dress Younger at 60 (or 50, or 70!)
Some women could care less if their preferred clothing choices might be considered dated. And I respect that!
If you want to look and feel young in a natural and attractive way, I would encourage you to first take a long look in the mirror and define who is looking back at you.
Because who you see is how you ultimately present yourself to the world. And, how you feel about that woman will always be reflected in your clothing choices, your demeanor, and your confidence.
If you want to know how to not dress old, start there.
Well, we’ve journeyed through the common mistakes that can age us faster than a cheap bottle of wine. But remember, just because we’re mature women doesn’t mean we should shy away from the fashion game!
You see, younger women have their own style battles to fight, but we’ve got something they don’t – experience. We’ve seen trends come and go, we’ve learned what works for our body shape, and we know the importance of classic style.
The best thing about being a woman of a certain age? We’ve earned the right to wear what makes us feel fabulous. We’ve realized that the right size is not just about numbers on a tag, but about how a piece fits and flatters our unique figures.
And yes, we know that well-made pieces are worth every penny. They’re the backbone of any stylish wardrobe and a testament to our personal taste.
But let’s not forget about new trends. They’re not exclusive to the young and restless. They’re simply a great place for us to dip our toes in and add a hint of modern flair to our timeless look.
So, go ahead. Embrace your age, celebrate your style, and remember – it’s not about dressing like a younger woman. It’s about dressing like the amazing, confident, and stylish woman you are. Because at the end of the day, fashion is not just about the clothes we wear. It’s about how they make us feel. And you deserve to feel nothing short of spectacular!
Like this post? Share it!