Welcome to a new era of fashion freedom. Stepping into your 60s doesn’t mean you have to forgo style for comfort. It means embracing a new chapter, full of radiant self-confidence and sartorial savvy. You’ve earned every wrinkle, every laugh line, and the right to wear what makes you feel absolutely fantastic.
Finding the right shoes for women over 60, like the best walking shoes, flat heels, or dress shoes for example, can be tough. Not that we’re old, of course, but our tootsies have been around for awhile and we want to treat them right!
Have you ever had that moment at the end of the day when you finally kick off your shoes and think, “Ahh, sweet relief”? We’ve all been there. So we’re going to talk about one of the most important things for us older adults – finding the right pair of shoes!
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Shoes? Really? Isn’t that a topic for youngsters?” Well, think again, my friends! As we gracefully navigate our 60s, 70s, and beyond, foot issues can creep up on us, making the search for the most comfortable shoes more crucial than ever. Yes, even more important than finding that elusive lipstick shade that doesn’t dry out your lips!
When it comes to foot issues, flat feet can be a common concern. But who says flat feet can’t be fabulously fashionable? A supportive shoe with removable insoles can be a great option. And let’s not forget, they can be a great addition to your wardrobe too.
Choosing the right pair of shoes isn’t just about style (although who doesn’t love a good style statement?). It’s about comfort, support, and making sure your feet are as happy at the end of the day as they were at the beginning.
So, what should we look for? Well, aside from being the most comfortable shoes you’ve ever slipped your feet into, look for shoes with good arch support and cushioning. Shoes with removable insoles are a bonus because you can replace them with custom orthotics if needed.
Remember, the right pair of shoes can make a world of difference.
So put your best foot forward and let’s dive into the world of shoe styles perfect for us. We’ll cover the best shoes including:
- Sophisticated flats
- Classy heels (and how to add height without hurt!)
- Sandals & slippers
- Boots for every season
- Orthopedic shoes
- Brands we love
Let’s dive in!
If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
- Shoes for Women Over 60
- Top Brands to Consider
- Shoe Shopping Tips
- Caring for Your Feet and Shoes: Maintenance Tips
- Conclusion: Shoes for Women Over 60
Shoes for Women Over 60
Sophisticated Flats: Elegance Meets Comfort
Stepping into your 60s, or should I say, ‘striding’ into your 60s, calls for a shoe that suits your vibrant spirit. Enter the sophisticated flat – a shoe that beautifully blends elegance with comfort.
Flats are a woman’s best friend, especially as we embrace our golden years with grace and style. They can be as dressy as a pair of heels, without the discomfort. In fact, they are perfect for those of us who want to feel fabulous and comfortable throughout the day.
Here are a few pointers to guide you in finding the perfect pair of sophisticated flats:
- Material Matters: Seek out leather or suede flats for their breathable properties and soft, flexible feel. These materials mold to your feet, providing a personalized fit that’s oh-so-comfortable.
- Embrace Embellishments: A flat doesn’t have to be plain. Choose styles with tasteful embellishments like bows, buckles, or jewels to add a dash of glamour to your outfit.
- Color and Pattern: Don’t shy away from colors and patterns. A vibrant red, chic leopard print, or a classic black patent flat can make your outfit pop, giving you an extra spring in your step.
- Arch Support: This is crucial for comfort. A flat with good arch support can help prevent foot fatigue and keep you moving with ease from morning till night.
- Non-Slip Soles: For safety and comfort, look for flats with non-slip soles. This will give you confidence with each step you take.
So, don’t let the notion of age define your style. Embrace the elegance and comfort of sophisticated flats, and let your personality shine with every step. Remember, your 60s are a time for you to feel fabulous, and there’s no better way to do this than with a shoe that offers both style and comfort.
Classy Heels: Adding Height Without Hurt
Heels can still be our best companions, giving us that chic look, while adding a little height. But let’s be honest, comfort is key. We’ve earned the right to look stylish without sacrificing our feet. So, how do we achieve that perfect balance of elegance and comfort in high heels? Let’s dive in.
Choose the Right Height
Remember, we’re not talking sky-high stilettos here. Kitten heels, which are typically 1.5 to 2 inches, can be a perfect choice. They add a little height, elongate our legs, but are still comfortable to walk in.
Go for Block Heels
Block heels are heaven-sent for us ladies over 60. They provide more support and stability than their thinner counterparts. Plus, they distribute our weight evenly, reducing the risk of foot pain.
If you love a little more height but want to stay comfortable, wedges are a fantastic option. They offer more surface area for your foot, making them a sturdier alternative to traditional heels.
Opt for Ankle Straps
Heels with ankle straps offer extra support and stability. They secure the shoe to your foot, making walking a little bit easier and a lot more comfortable.
Invest in Quality Material
Leather and suede are more flexible than synthetic materials, which means they’ll mold better to your foot. Plus, they’re typically more breathable, reducing the risk of blisters.
A good pair of insoles can transform your heels from painful to comfortable. They add extra cushioning and can also help to alleviate pressure points.
Isn’t it wonderful to know that heels can still be a part of our wardrobe even in our 60s? We just need to make smart choices. As long as we prioritize comfort alongside style, we can step out in our favorite pair of heels without a hint of pain.
Sandals and Slippers: Breezy Choices for Casual Days
Let’s chat about those relaxed, sunshine-filled days when comfort and ease are the order of the day. Yes, I’m talking about those moments when the heavy-duty footwear can take a break while you slip into something more comfortable – our beloved sandals and slippers.
Walking around your home or stepping out for an impromptu coffee with a friend, the right pair of sandals or slippers can offer a delightful combination of comfort and style. So, let’s dive right into some fabulous choices for us, women over 60.
- Strappy Sandals: These are an absolute must-have. A pair of strappy sandals can keep your feet feeling breezy while giving you a chic look. Opt for a pair with a cushioned footbed for extra comfort. Remember, we’re not sacrificing comfort for style, ladies!
- Slide Sandals: Slide sandals are perfect for when you’re in a hurry but still want to look stylish. With no straps or buckles to worry about, they are the epitome of easy and breezy footwear.
- Wedge Sandals: If you want to add a bit of height without the strain of heels, wedge sandals are your answer. They offer a stable base that can make walking more comfortable than in typical heels.
- Comfort Slippers: For those cozy days at home, nothing beats a pair of plush, comfortable slippers. Look for ones with good arch support and a non-slip sole for safety.
- Outdoor Slippers: If you love the comfort of indoor slippers and wish you could take them outside, guess what? You can! Outdoor slippers are gaining popularity for their convenience and comfort. They’re perfect for a quick trip to the mailbox or a leisurely stroll in your garden.
The beauty of sandals and slippers lies in their variety. With so many colors, styles, and designs to choose from, you can find a pair to match any outfit or mood. Plus, they are a fantastic way to let your personality shine.
Boots for Every Season: Style and Functionality
Whether it’s the chill of winter or the warmth of spring, there’s a boot for every season. And for us lovely women in our 60s, comfort and style are equally important. So, let’s delve into the world of boots that blend style with functionality beautifully.
- Ankle Boots: These are a must-have for any wardrobe. Ankle boots are versatile and oh-so-stylish, perfect for pairing with jeans, dresses, or skirts. Choose a pair with a low, chunky heel for a balance of comfort and style.
- Knee-high Boots: These boots are not just for the young folks; we can rock them too! They’re perfect for colder seasons, keeping our legs cozy while exuding an air of sophistication. Opt for a flat or low heel to keep the comfort factor high.
- Rain Boots: Who said rain boots can’t be chic? Today’s designs are far from the clunky styles of the past. They can be both practical in wet weather and make a bold fashion statement. Choose a pair in a fun, vibrant color or a classic black to add some pep to those rainy days.
- Warm-lined Boots: Cold feet are a thing of the past with these snug boots. They’re lined with warm material, perfect for winter strolls or a fun day out in the snow. Look for styles that have non-slip soles to prevent any icy mishaps.
- Wide-calf Boots: These boots are designed to comfortably fit those of us with wider calves. They come in a variety of styles and heights, from ankle to knee-high. There’s no need to sacrifice comfort for fashion with these boots.
Sneakers for the Active Woman: Walking and Fitness Styles
Sneakers aren’t just for the gym, they can be a comfortable and chic addition to your everyday wardrobe. So, let’s dive into some of the best walking and fitness styles for us vibrant ladies.
Walking sneakers are a must-have, ladies! They provide excellent comfort for daily walks in the park or shopping sprees at the mall. Look for a shoe that offers good arch support, cushioning, and a roomy toe box. Brands like Skechers and New Balance offer a variety of walking sneakers designed specifically for women of our age.
For those of us who enjoy a good workout or fitness class, the right tennis shoe can make all the difference. You’ll want something lightweight, with excellent cushioning and support to protect your joints. Look for shoes with non-slip soles to prevent any gym mishaps.
The athleisure trend is here to stay, and it’s a godsend for us active women over 60. These sneakers are designed to transition seamlessly from the gym to the grocery store to lunch with friends. They are stylish, comfortable, and versatile – truly the trifecta of shoe fashion! Opt for sleek, minimalist designs in neutral colors for maximum outfit pairing potential.
For ease and convenience, consider lace-free or slip-on sneakers. Yes, I have a pair and I wear them proudly. They’re a breeze to get on and off – no more wrestling with shoe laces! Plus, there are plenty of fashionable options available that don’t compromise on comfort or support.
Orthopedic Shoes: Combining Fashion and Foot Care
Let’s talk about a shoe style that’s not just about aesthetics, but also about keeping our feet healthy and comfortable. Yes, I’m talking about orthopedic shoes. Gone are the days when these shoes were bulky, unattractive, and strictly for medical purposes. These days, orthopedic shoes are designed with fashion in mind, allowing you to strut in style without compromising comfort and foot care.
Here’s why orthopedic shoes are a must-have in your shoe collection as you step boldly into your sixties:
- Support and Comfort: Orthopedic shoes are designed to support your feet and help you maintain a proper posture. They also have extra padding for maximum comfort. Who says you can’t enjoy a day out without discomfort in your feet?
- Health Benefits: They reduce the risk of foot problems, such as bunions, hammertoes, and plantar fasciitis, which are common among women over 60. So, you can keep dancing and walking without worry!
- Variety of Styles: From sneakers and boots to sandals and loafers, there’s an orthopedic shoe for every occasion. You’ll find them in various colors, materials, and designs to suit your personal style.
- Improved Mobility: With the right support and comfort, you’ll experience improved mobility, allowing you to continue living an active lifestyle.
Now, let’s discuss some stylish options that you can add to your shoe closet:
- Orthopedic Sneakers: For those fitness walks and casual outings, orthopedic sneakers offer the perfect blend of comfort and chic style. They come in various fun colors and designs that can brighten up your look.
- Orthopedic Sandals: Looking for a breezy, fashionable choice for warm weather? Orthopedic sandals come in sophisticated styles, offering both elegance and comfort.
- Orthopedic Flats: These are your go-to for everyday wear. They are as comfortable as they are stylish, and they pair well with almost everything in your wardrobe.
- Orthopedic Boots: Perfect for colder seasons, these boots provide extra support and warmth for your feet without compromising your style.
Remember, the key is to find a balance between style, comfort, and health. And with today’s fashionable orthopedic shoes, you can have it all. So, step into your sixties with confidence and style — your feet will thank you!
My Current Favorites
I’m all about casual style, so the majority of the time I’m in joggers, jeans, capris, or shorts, a simple top, and one of these (click on the image for shopping details):
Top Brands to Consider
Next, we’re looking at the top brands to consider. Don’t worry, these brands cater to all our needs, from comfort to style, ensuring we can strut our stuff with confidence and panache. So, let’s get to it, shall we?
- Clarks: A brand that’s been around since the 19th century, Clarks is renowned for its comfortable, stylish, and durable shoes. They offer a wide variety of styles, from chic flats to sturdy boots. Best of all, Clarks understands that our feet need a little more tender loving care, so they design shoes with cushioned insoles and supportive arches.
- Naturalizer: Now, here’s a brand that’s been a firm favorite for years. Naturalizer strikes an excellent balance between comfort and style. Their shoes are crafted with lightweight materials, flexible soles, and extra cushioning, all while maintaining a sense of elegance and sophistication.
- Ecco: If you’re an active lady who loves long walks or enjoys a bit of exercise, Ecco could be your best bet. They specialize in sneakers and walking shoes that offer great support, breathability, and durability. Plus, they’re quite stylish too!
- Vionic: If you have any foot problems or just want a shoe that offers a little extra support, Vionic should be on your radar. Their shoes are designed by podiatrists and come with built-in orthotics, ensuring maximum comfort and care for your feet.
- Aerosoles: Last but certainly not least, Aerosoles is a brand known for its stylish designs and comfort technology. From sophisticated heels to breezy sandals, this brand offers a style to suit every occasion.
Remember, friends, the best shoe brand for you is the one that makes you feel fabulous and comfortable at the same time. So, don’t be afraid to try on different styles and brands until you find your perfect fit. After all, we’re stepping into our 60s in style, and we deserve shoes that can keep up with us!
Shoe Shopping Tips
Now, let’s dive into some shoe shopping tips that will make our experience smoother and more fun. After all, we’ve earned the right to wear shoes that are as fabulous and comfortable as we are, haven’t we?
1. Comfort is King: In our glorious 60s, we’ve learned that comfort doesn’t have to mean sacrificing style. When shoe shopping, prioritize comfort. Look for shoes with good arch support, cushioning, and a spacious toe box. Your feet will thank you!
2. Know Your Feet: Our feet can change as we age. It’s a good idea to get your feet measured each time you go shoe shopping. This way, you’ll ensure a perfect fit.
3. Time it Right: You might not know this, but our feet can expand a little during the day. So, the best time to go shoe shopping is in the afternoon or evening. This will help avoid buying shoes that feel too tight later in the day.
4. Walk it Out: When trying on shoes, don’t just stand there – walk around! Spend a few minutes walking in the shoes to make sure they feel good and provide adequate support.
5. Quality Over Quantity: Invest in a few pairs of high-quality shoes rather than a closet full of cheaper ones. Quality shoes will last longer and provide better support and comfort.
6. Versatility is the Spice of Life: Choose shoes that can be paired with different outfits. A good pair of neutral-colored shoes can go a long way!
7. Don’t Forget the Socks: If you’ll be wearing socks with your new shoes, wear them when you’re trying on. This will give you a more accurate feel for the fit.
8. Remember, Beauty Doesn’t Have to Hurt: If the shoe doesn’t fit, don’t force it. No matter how beautiful a pair of shoes may look, if they don’t feel right, they’re not worth it.
Caring for Your Feet and Shoes: Maintenance Tips
It’s not just about finding the perfect shoe styles that spell comfort and chic – it’s also about knowing how to take care of our feet and those beautiful shoes. Today, let’s talk about some simple yet effective maintenance tips that can help keep our feet happy and our shoes shining.
Caring for Your Feet
Our feet have carried us through life’s journeys and deserve our love and care. Here are some tips to keep them comfortable and healthy:
Pamper Your Feet: Start by soaking your feet in warm water with a dash of Epsom salt. This simple act can help relieve tiredness, reduce inflammation, and soften the skin.
Moisturize Regularly: As we age, our skin tends to get drier. Apply a good quality foot cream or a natural moisturizer like coconut oil before going to bed.
Choose Breathable Socks: Opt for socks made from natural fibers like cotton or bamboo. These materials allow your feet to breathe, reducing the risk of fungal infections.
Regular Check-ups: Don’t forget to have regular check-ups with a podiatrist. They can help spot any potential issues early and keep your feet in top shape.
Maintaining Your Shoes
Just like our feet, our shoes need care, too. Here’s how you can make them last longer and look better:
Cleaning: Clean your shoes regularly. For leather shoes, use a quality shoe polish. For fabric shoes, a gentle rub with a soft cloth dipped in soapy water can do the trick.
Storage: Store your shoes properly. Use shoe trees for your leather shoes to help retain their shape. For other shoes, keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Rotation: Don’t wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Giving them a day to air out can extend their lifespan.
Preventive Care: Invest in preventive care like water repellent sprays for your suede and leather shoes.
Conclusion: Shoes for Women Over 60
Alright, we’ve covered a lot of ground in our shoe journey today (pun intended!). From the needs of our fabulous, mature feet to the variety of shoe styles that are both comfortable and stylish. We’ve talked about well-established brands that understand our unique needs and even shared some insider shoe-shopping tips. But now it’s time to wrap things up.
The good news is, there’s a world of shoe choices out there waiting to be explored. And while it might seem overwhelming, remember that the perfect pair is one that feels like an extension of you – easy on, easy off, and easy to love!
Whether you’re going on a leisurely stroll in the park, dancing at your grandchild’s wedding, or just running errands around town, there’s a shoe for that. A good pair of walking shoes can be your best friend for those active days, while a stylish yet comfortable pair of flats or loafers can be the perfect companion for more laid-back occasions.
The point is, no matter the occasion, there’s a good option out there for you. And isn’t that the beauty of being a mature woman? We’ve earned the right to choose what works best for us, in every aspect of our lives, shoes included!
So, step out with confidence, knowing you’re making the best decisions for your feet. After all, they carry you through this wonderful journey of life. They deserve to be pampered with the best shoe choices!
Remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Make sure that step is comfortable, stylish, and perfectly suited to you. Here’s to happy feet and endless adventures, one step at a time!
Like this post? Share it!